02/07/2023 WHAT TO EXCEPT ON THE FIRST DRIVING LESSON
It’s your first day at a driving lesson. And you want your first driving lesson to be a great one! And of course it is to most of us. As with any activity, it might be a nervous first, meeting your driving instructor, getting behind the wheel, listening to instructions as you drive, these might seem a tad bit overwhelming on your first day. If you’re new to driving, then being anxious is only natural. But getting over your anxiety works well for any beginner driver. As professionals in the field, the instructor you are with will try their best to put your emotions at rest and make your first day a pleasant learning experience. A 6 step key guide by driving-tests.org talks about getting over fear for first time student drivers. The first tip says ‘its best to have someone by your side to keep you relaxed’.
- Wear comfortable shoes – Comfy shoes is always a good idea in any stressful situation. Wearing tight and uncomfortable ones could stress you out even more. Loafers, sports shoes, clarks, these might be a better choice to select from. But keep in mind, slippers, loose fitting sandals, flip flops are not recommended. In fact they are considered hazardous footwear when driving.
- Don’t forget your glasses, if you are a wearer. Having good line of sight is priority when driving. If you do wear glasses, remember to keep them handy and wear them when driving. Also remember to get your eyes tested for your glasses prior to driving. Keeping your vision is important, particularly for those who wear eye glasses.
- Take along a bottle of water. This will not only keep you hydrated, but will also help you relax when certain stress situations arise.
- If you do have a provisional licence, do keep it handy. This will be important if you are required to show proof of your driving ability. Most probably your instructor may request for this at your first lesson as proof. Keep in mind that you may not be able to drive if you do not have the licence with you. This is required only during your first drive by the way.
- Do not smoke or drink any form of liquor prior to your lesson. It will be an immediate disqualifier.
- Introduction to the car controls - Adjusting your car seat, mirrors.
- Learning how to use the clutch (if your car is a manual gear one).
- Learning the auto gear settings
- Stopping and starting or moving safely.
- Signaling and hazard lighting.
Welcome to DOS Driving School, one of the best driving schools in Melbourne. DOS Driving School has been providing high quality, professional driving lessons in Melbourne since 1993. Our specialised driving instructors provide expert advice and training on how to prepare and confidently pass your dr…